Did you know the Empire State Building is struck by lightning an average of 25 times per year? We don’t get as much lightning as the East Coast, but Crummack Huseby cares about your safety throughout the year. Please take a moment to read our lightning tips and facts, and share with your neighbors and co-workers too.
FACTS ABOUT LIGHTNING
- Lightning’s unpredictability increases the risk to individuals and property.
- Lightning may occur as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.
- “Heat lightning” is actually lightning from a thunderstorm too far away for thunder to be heard. However, the storm may be moving in your direction.
- Your chances of being struck by lightning are estimated to be 1 in 600,000 but could be reduced even further by following safety precautions.
HOW TO STAY SAFE INDOORS
- Unplug appliances and other electrical items such as computers, televisions, laptops, gaming systems, stoves and turn off air conditioners. Power surges from lightning can cause serious damage.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades, or curtains.
- Avoid showering or bathing, or doing the dishes. Plumbing and bathroom fixtures can conduct electricity.
IF YOU FIND YOURSELF OUTDOORS, AVOID THE FOLLOWING
- Natural lightning rods such as a tall, isolated tree in an open area.
- Hilltops, open fields, the beach, or a boat on the water.
- Isolated sheds or other small structures in open areas.
- Anything metal—tractors, farm equipment, motorcycles, golf carts, golf clubs, and bicycles.
GIVE FIRST AID TO VICTIMS HIT BY LIGHTNING
It’s a myth you can’t give first aid to someone struck by lightning. There is no threat in helping them. Here’s what to do:
- Breathing - if breathing has stopped, begin mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
- Heartbeat - if the heart has stopped, administer CPR.
- Pulse - if the victim has a pulse and is breathing, look for other possible injuries. Check for burns where the lightning entered and left the body. Also be alert for nervous system damage, broken bones, and loss of hearing and eyesight.
ABOUT CRUMMACK HUSEBY PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
Crummack Huseby is an award-winning property management company who understands what it takes to create a community within the community association’s they partner with. Our successful business partnerships with homebuilders, developers and homeowner’s associations have brought value to clients throughout Southern California. Our talented and award-winning managers work closely with our clients to determine the specific needs they have - to elevate, inspire and achieve their goals for their communities. If you have questions, you can talk to us! We’re always here to help your community grow while adding value to your property.
<< CLICK HERE TO START THE CONVERSATION >>