June 29, 2015 CH Site Administrator Safety
For many, the idea of a group of friends, barbecue and a fireworks blowout sounds like a blast; but your pet may not see it that way. Here are 10 tips from the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) to help you and your pet have a fun and accident-free Independence Day.
This may seem obvious, but even if your pet is accustomed to being outside, fireworks and other loud noises may cause them to escape in an attempt to find safety. The safest place for your pet is inside your home. Provide them with a safe spot from loud noises; a go-to place for relaxing or hiding away.
What isn’t toxic for humans can be toxic to your pets. Applying “people” sunscreen or insect repellant on your pet can be potentially toxic. Fortunately, there are pet-friendly products available. Consult with your veterinarian about which product would serve your pet the best.
If your pet drinks alcohol they can become intoxicated or worse...get sick. Yes, even beer is toxic so please don’t offer your pet alcoholic beverages. Never leave alcoholic beverages where pets can reach them.
The safest place for your pet is at home, not in a crowded, unfamiliar noisy place. Bringing them to a fireworks event may cause your pet to have anxiety and seek shelter. Do your pet a favor and keep them at home in a familiar place.
If your pet manages to break loose and become lost, without proper identification it will be difficult to get them back. At a minimum, get your pet an ID tag with their name and your contact information.
It might look cute to adorn your pet in plastic glow sticks or jewelry; but your curious pet could chew up and swallow the glowing goodies. The ASPCA states that while not highly toxic it still could lead to irritation and intestinal blockage from swallowing plastic.
When lit, fireworks can pose a danger to your pets resulting in burns and/or trauma to the face and paws. Even unused fireworks can be hazardous due to their toxic substances. Best to keep your pet away from fireworks in general.
You may like to share a tasty side dish with your pet but some festive foods are not good for dogs to eat. Hazardous foods include: beer, chocolate, onions, coffee, grapes and raisins.
Barbecues are fun and make for great social gatherings, but be attentive if lighter fluid and matches are being used around pets. If digested, you and your pet may cut your party short with a trip to the Vet ER.
Keep the contact information of your veterinarian or the nearest animal hospital handy just in case your pet has a medical emergency.
Source: Top Ten Fourth of July Pet Safety Tips written by Y. Cespedes
ABOUT CRUMMACK HUSEBY PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, INC.
WE ARE BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS & GROWING COMMUNITIES.
Crummack Huseby utilizes a personal approach to create and develop one-of-a-kind property management programs for new and existing communities. Our award-winning talent would be honored to present their unparalleled methods in property management and builder services to your team or board. For more information, please visit ch-pm.com or call 888-399-9430 Toll-free
Crummack Huseby Property Management, Inc. 25531 Commercentre Drive Suite 100 Lake Forest, CA 92630